Featuring America's Home Inspector: Nationally Syndicated Columnist, Barry Stone

The House Detective by Barry Stone, Certified Home Inspector

Dear Barry: My son lives in our back yard guest house with a ventless gas heater. Twice this past week, he has gotten sick at night. Both times, he became congested and got chills even when it wasn’t that cold. Could this be caused by the heater? Darrell

Hello Darrell: If your son’s sickness coincides with nighttime use of a ventless gas heater, you should have your doctor examine him immediately for symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. You should also have the gas company test the furnace for carbon monoxide emission. And regardless of their findings, you should replace the heater with one that is vented to the exterior. And be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in the room where your son sleeps.